zum Menü Home
-

Hoffnungsstollen Mine

Mine History

The Todtmoos-Mättle mine was first mentioned in 1798. Up until the closure of the vitriol hut in Schwarzenbach (now Todtmoos-Berghütte) in 1835, huge volumes of ore were excavated from the surface mine, and processed for industrial use in the vitriol hut. Only after this time, the nickel ore (formally considered waste) was used to strengthen steel and has been mined irregularly in smaller volumes.

However, the lengthy mining investigation did not bring the expected success. Despite great efforts in the years 1934-1937 no ore mine worth excavation was found, and therefore mining ceased in 1937 and the site was closed.

In 1988 the work began to turn the mine into a mining museum. This was completed in 2000. The opening of the museum took place on 16th June 2000.

The whole mine complex has been modernised in a family-friendly way so that it is also suitable for families with small children. The deep tunnel can also be visited by wheelchair users.

The hope studs on TV

The hope studs on TVMiddle July was a TV crew from Switzerland in hope studs go to make a contribution on mining in the Black Forest. The entire report you can watch it for free here:
Treasure-hunting in the black forest

 
 

Opening times

From 1st May - 31st October
Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays 14:00 - 17:00

From 1st November - 30th April
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays 14:00 - 17:00

Prices

Visitors with Todtmoos all-inclusive guest cardfree
Adult with Schwarzwald Card2,00 €
Adult without Schwarzwald Card3,00 €
Children up to (and including) 5 yearsfree
Children between 6 and 16 years1,00 €
Disabled visitors above 80%1,00 €
School children, students1,00 €
Entry with Schwarzwald Cardfree

All year-round: Groups of 20 people or more and tours for children should be registered in the Tourist Information Centre.

Fricktalisch-Badische Vereinigung für Heimatkunde FBVH